If CART shuts down...what do you think

So, let's do it. Let's take over the CART schedule and run an IT series. Common cars, single class (say ITA, mostly because I don't want to buy another car) and equalize the class. Then, let's go wheel to wheel on national TV giving the people what they want: close racing with people taking chances. Downfarce? What's that? Aerodynamics? Huh?

Keep the rules essentially the same as IT, showing that it is a series that anyone can build and compete in. Keep it relatively low cost. Lengthen current races to ~1 hour. Run in the rain like real men (do not run if there are large puddles (e.g. deeper than 1")). Run with local yellows, and only use full course yellows if truly needed.

Keeping the speeds down by limiting it to the ITA cars should also help reduce the chances of a car going airborn and also increase the safety of the driver. Isaac devices would be required for all.


------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com
 
Originally posted by Dave Burchfield:
...sorry I missed you Gregg. We must have passed on the floor at some point. I was with the Roush people most of the time.

This is two years in a row now, Dave, that we've missed each other. I was hoping you might call the Omni, until I found out they oversold and I ended up at the other Omni.

We should plan now for next year.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com
 
Originally posted by planet6racing:
So, let's do it. Let's take over the CART schedule and run an IT series....

...Isaac devices would be required for all.

I almost missed it Bill! Good example of why you should review the thread after you post.

Free Isaac systems to all the drivers who race in the televised CART/IT series!
smile.gif


------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com
 
Originally posted by bldn10:
I understand what you are saying but the unfortunate fact is that there are more people at Wal-Mart on Sat. morning than feel the way you do.

And that's why I included Dave Despain's small editorial.
wink.gif


------------------
Alex
#2 ita
 
I FEAR that the next big thing in racing is going to be the WWE/Fast & Furious?Video game type shite that they are pitching to several networks now...Imagine

TOTALLY riced out cars, in small numbers, racing on short city sets (not street course..>SETS!!!) where like drifting, they get points for things, and while you get points for finishing first you get bigger points for best burnout, craziest slide, etc.

I imagine among the "least common denominator" this will be very popular, and I fear will inspire even poorer driving on the streets.

Eric
NER SM #02
 
Alex,

Thanks for posting Despain's comments. They are so on the mark that it is scary.

It's truly a shame that professional open wheel racing in this country is in the state that it is. I hate the fact that Tony G. won. But it quit being about the sport over 20 years ago. It's all about the money, even more so today.

It's also truly a shame that Bill France has a strangle hold on one of the great road courses in this country (and the world), in Watkins Glen. But then again, if there were more pro races at the Glen, there'd be less club dates!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608
 
Speaking of Despain, this is some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard coming from a TV speaker:

http://www.myehud.com/dd_nuts.avi

[(Edit) They took it down! Here's the replacement:

"Hello. I apologize that you are not going to get to experience Dave Despain's meltdown.

This file was originally put up as a service to crapwagon.com forum members.

In time it has been linked to SO OFTEN that it is downloaded once every five seconds. I won't bother you with the tale of how much bandwidth that consumes and how kind my ISP is... but the sad truth is it's a LOT and they're not THAT kind.

Good luck finding it elsewhere... or watching the repeat when
it airs on SPEED..."

Sorry. It was off topic anyway.]

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited December 09, 2003).]
 
Greg,

Was that the one where they bleeped every third word? If so, I saw it, and it was totally hilarious!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608
 
Offtopic schmofftopic.

http://www.nerdmafia.com/rockme01/video/despain.wmv

It's about time someone explained this issue in "plain language."

A "professional" auto racing series is only as professional as the market in which it is positioned. The total buying power of the fan base dictates whether it has any chance of being viable - in terms of generating a revenue stream for participants, whether from the gate, media contracts, series promotional contracts, or team "sponsorship." At that point, it becomes a simple revenue-expense math problem.

It is possible to make money running a short track stock car at the local track because the ratios are good and the system scales up nicely in NASCAR's premier series.

CART and high-dollar road racing series continue to struggle in the US market. TransAm, GrandAm, SPEED GT/Touring, and ALL of the CART feeder series are big-buck club racing classes with a tiny percentage of the entrants making any money. Even then, rentals are a primary source of revenues, many of the "sponsor" agreements are not made at arms length based on anticipated real returns in promotional value, and teams continue to overextend and die.

SPEED, the other networks, periodicals, and all of the other contingent beneficiaries of motorsports live and die on the financial coattails of this same reality: It is viable to broadcase WRC events ONLY to the degree that they are attractive to someone willing to buy commercial time during the program. (Thanks, Subaru.)

...and thanks, Dave.

Kirk
 
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
Greg,

Was that the one where they bleeped every third word? If so, I saw it, and it was totally hilarious!


Bill,

Yeah, that was the one. I swear, I was laughing so hard I nearly hyperventilated.

You run a very clean forum here, and most readers know me as a representative of a company, so in the interest of maintaining decorum I won't offer any details. However, rumor has it that a good transcript can be found here (see Slyder's second post):

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=despain

But you didn't hear it from me...
wink.gif


------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com
 
Interesting interview with Kevin Kalkovian, one of the primary members of OWRS, who is trying to buy the assests of CART. One of the things he mentions is that they want to have standing starts. They also plan to reduce aero grip and increase mechanical grip to make passing easier...

http://speedtv.com/commentary/9116/

A good read on the business side of pro racing.

Eric
NER SM #02
 
Back
Top